An ELL Learning Experience: Hispanic Mexican and Puerto Rican Culture
This new workshop is designed and taught by Daniel León-Molina.
Gain a better understanding and appreciation of Hispanic Cultures of our local area.
During this workshop participants will be guided through several aspects of the Mexican and Puerto Rican cultures by engaging in the children’s book, My Name is Maria Isabel by Alma Flor. Each participant will receive a copy of this text for their classroom libraries.
Participants will become familiar with cultural aspects of these two Hispanic cultures to use in the classroom/school setting and be able to develop cross-cultural skills and understandings.
Some of the topics to be addressed are but not limited to:
- Hispanics names
- Parent expectation/ behavior management/family hierarchy
- Building relationship with parents
- Cultural tradition in the home
- Immigration status in the USA
- Assimilation in the new culture